Winds of change
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

aerostar blade « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
briparts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: aerostar blade Reply with quote

would anyone have drawings or cut away photos for a 7.5 meter aerostar blade,I have something loose in 2 of my blades and need to know whats in there
erik
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

Are the blades rotating, or on the ground ?

Small parts typically would be loosened excess glue from the production.
(Lumps of ice, if below zero.)

Loose balancing weights (normally placed in a plastic tube in the root end).

I will scan some of the old drawings and upload them to the WindsOfChange site, where you can download it. Some drawings are bigger size than A-4/legal , so please give me some days to get them scanned..

Erik (WOC)
briparts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Erik

thank you for your response,the noise is the sound of a pipe if you dropped it on it's end on the floor.I get this noise in the first few rotations until the machine reaches operating speed then centrifugal force makes it stop .that was ok until now it is making a click clunk noise every revolution at operating speed.I fear if left the next noise will be me crying when the blade comes apart and is laying on the ground.my solution is to locate the loose parts and drill small hole and inject expanding foam to the area and try to secure the loose parts. I will repeat the same method on all 3 blades to keep balance.the noise seems to be about 3 to 4 meters out from the root and hopfully it will be in an area that will not trap water.

many thanks Brian James
rr#2 wallenstein
Ontario,Canada
1-519-638-5394
erik
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

Hello Brian

If you have access to an endoscope - looking into the hollow blade through a , say max 10 mm (1/2 inch) hole in the trailing edge - blade intersection , just over the circular part of the root, you might be able to see (when the blade tip points upwards) if one or more cylindrical shaped balancing loads (brass or stainless steel) are traveling around...ending at the blade root...

Securing loose items with foam sounds ok ...

at 3 - 4 meter outboard there should not be loose items.... Only interior parts are the 2 longitudinal Fiberglass spars glued in place as the two bladehalves were joined in production.

best regards

Erik
briparts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erik

the noise seems to be farther out ,at least 3-4 meters maybe farther when you are in the basket and slowly turn the rotor you can clearly hear 2 of the blades making the same noise ,sounds like 2 metal objects hitting each other.I first thought it may be the tips so I removed them again (already had them apart once for service) and checked the pipe under the nuts for the tip and they are good.so I have eliminated the tips and the balance rods in the root.I am hoping the drawing can help give accurate locations of any other metal parts.

thanks Brian
Merle
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: blade clunk Reply with quote

Hi Brian

Is it possible that the blade tip mounting hardware becomes loose in the fiberglass? The metal would shrink in cold weather where the fiberglass would not ( or not as quickly)

Merle
briparts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Merle

nice of you to join us,I guess that is possible but our noise started when it was still warm so we ruled that out on our blades.hopfully Erik's drawings will help us pinpoint the problem we are both having.

Hi Erik
Merle and I are neighbours and we are experiencing the same problem.yesterday we drilled a few holes in a blade that is off to see inside with a camera without much success, although it is not a blade that is making the noise.there must be other blades out there with the same problems we have ,hard to believe we are the only one's.I se that you also recycle blades, maybe you have a blade that is cut apart that you can send some photos?

thank you
Brian
erik
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

Hi Brian

Believe it or not, I have no 7.5 m Aerostar blades in stock... but I will try to find one in the neighbourhood and cut the downwind panel off - to get a photograph. I have lots of old photographs but none exactly showing a cut 7.5 m.. but

I photographed some old drawings, and scanned some old simple 7.5 m drawings - and uploaded them to WindsOfChange pages - under: You can find them here: http://www.windsofchange.dk/WOC-81-86.php
(Pioneer Stories part - then 1981 - 1986.) They can be downloaded clicking "Brochures" near the top of that page (Just over the Aerial View of the Slagelse production facility.)
You have to subscribe ( 20$ for one month) to have acces to all the downloads.

Next week I will have a bigger size scanner, and I will scan some more drawings (and replace the photographed ones).

Erik

Last edited by erik on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
briparts
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erik
the drawings are helpful,in photo 7 #5 there is a sleeve that is marked( (POS.5 MUST BE MOVABLE) is this the part that is attached to the blade end where the tip rod exits the blade?could it be loose and moving up and down the rod?
erik
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

Hi Brian

The brass sleeve "pos. 5" is fits into the end of the pivoting pipe, that is laminated to the upwind side op the blade tip. When the tip spring is tightened, this bushing cannot move. but..
If the bushing for the V-shaped anchor plate at the outboard end of the "mainblade" is loose (Pos. 4 - shrinked on /heated 1000 dg.C.) and also has loosened from the laminate, then an up and down sliding would be possible...
This happened to some 9 m Aerostar, but I newer heard of it on the 7.5 m blades. However I will talk to one of the "old" servicemen of Siemens Wind Power (earlier Bonus) tomorrow - and ask him if he has an idea. I remember that Bonus (after the bancruptcy of AeroStar in 1986) made a standard fix to this on blades in the US. I will try to get these documents as well, and upload it.

Erik
briparts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erik
the anchor bushings are no longer tight on the tip shaft.Two of them are loose in the fiberglass and sliding up and down in the blade on first few revolutions.I thought I can drill some small holes above the v on the trailing edge and inject epoxy with the tip pointing down ,allowing it to run over the ends of the v and into the space between the anchor bushing and the tip rod.If I add 1 liter per blade it should stay balanced, as the builder do you think this will work or do you know of a better way?

thanks Brian
erik
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

Hi Brian

Gluing with epoxy alone, will not solve the problem I am afraid. As the V is no longer laminated in place, it cannot be used for load bearing, but has to be blocked. The tip rod should be fixed to the flat upwind side of the blade by a new structure. For example by a stainless steel fixture (omega shaped) mounted inside the blade - with 4 or more well placed M12 ( half inch) bolts running through the upwind side blade shell. To have a good grip in the fibreglass shell the bolts should also run through a stainless steel plate/flat on the outside blade surface.
Making two 3 or 4 inch holes on each side of the tip rod position - from the downwind side - with a hole saw - (to get access) will not damage the blades load bearing capacity. Keep 2 inches away from the tip-split line.

I leave the detailed design and calculation for you.

On february 18th. I will be visiting the Siemens Wind Power headquarters in Brande, Denmark - and I will try to find the old drawings of the blade tip fix that BONUS made to the Aerostar 9 m blades back in 1987 in the US.

I hope to find the drawings, and upload them for you.

best regards

Erik
briparts
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Eric
We got up and removed the tips to find the anchor plates are not moving and are not loose .what I did find was one of the caps that plug the tube for the balance rods had pushed out to the blade tip.when I removed it a plastic tube about 10 inches long fell out ,so I when realized that the solid rod had moved about 1 inch.I then pushed it with a smaller rod and it moved back and made the metallic clunk I have been hearing so I pushed epoxy into the tube ,spacer and cap. and now only one blade makes the noise.I would say that this is the problem,so my next question is how many rods per blade ? and is there plastic between them .I know which blade is making the noise but the cap is still tight in the blade so where is the movement.now the whether is better I will remove the cap and see if there is movement there or not.I am helping overhaul another set of blades for the YMCA ,they have a nordtank 65 going up and I am wondering if I should try to deal with this problem now before they go up

thanks
Brian
erik
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Site Admin

Hello Brian

Good to hear that you found the origin of the noise, and that it was not the anchor plates... There should be only one plastic tube for balancing rods in the tip of the main blade. (There is another one laminated to the main longitudinal web in the blade root). In the 9 m blade, there are two parallel plastic tubes for balancing rods.

There can be more balance rods combined in one plastic tube. (I think standard length (weight) were used., and more rods combined to give the nearest correct weight needed..)

I uploaded part of a drawing for the 9 m blade. (Couldn't find the same for 7.5 m) and also a photo of a section of a 9 m blade, and a section from a 7.5 m blade - cut near the intersection.(end of main blade). Find them at : http://www.windsofchange.dk/WOC-81-86.php at "brochures" besides "Blades fly in ..."

Sounds like a good idea to check the balance rods / tubes for the YMCA turbine blades. (And of course also the tip springs ... rusty ..?)

The hidden end of the plastic tubes - nearer to the root - have a glued on PVC cap. Be sure not to hammer this loose when working on the balance rods.. Smile .

Erik
filerecovery
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Erik,

I thought I can drill some small holes above the v on the trailing edge and inject epoxy with the tip pointing down, allowing it to run over the ends of the v and into the space between the anchor bushing and the tip rod.

Latonia
File Recovery Software

Jump to: